Monday, May 4, 2009

The Family

This is my daughter (of whom I'm immensely proud. She's a bigshot in the government of NSW in Australia.


Top left: the last family photo of my mother, my daughter, my cousin and myself.

Top right: a quick shot of me, Ian, and his girfriend Heather, before we set sail for Robben Island.
A little postscript: my mother passed away shortly after this last photo was taken; she had had breast cancer for many years and finally succumbed to it on 18th August 2008. I miss her dearly as we were much more than just mother and son. We were friends and shared most of our interests and, perhaps because of that, always had a very close relationship. She was a talented artist, a qualified nurse and midwife, and a teacher of some note. She always believed that there was something better round the next corner, and lived her life on a note of constant optimism.
My cousin, Ian, lives in UK and is very talented with his hands, making all sorts of things; he is an excellent craftsman and something of a perfectionist, but can also be very funny.
My daughter lives in Sydney with her husband. She has a great love of art, is a talented musician, and loves animals. She is tall, beautiful, very motherly without being a matron, and is a very dear friend as well as being very cherished as a daughter.




No comments:

Post a Comment